BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Soup!!

One of the things that makes me feel cozy is making soup. It's one of my favorite things to make, especially on wintry days. This winter we've been eating a lot of soup. There has been an abundance of wintry days this season in Iowa. We have had two and a half feet of snow on the ground since Christmas. The attempt to make our home a cozy den of happiness this winter by making soup and cocoa is coming to a end. The charm has worn thin.

However, I will continue to make soup. I think soup is a near perfect food. You can put almost anything in soup and it's going to taste good. It can be healthy and your kids won't even complain. Serve with a nice crusty loaf of bread and you're in business. So I thought I would share one of my soup recipes that is yummy. It sounds weird, but I promise you it's delicious.


Cucumber Soup a la Smith

Ingredients:

1 cup diced Canadian bacon or any other ham-type stuff. Make sure it's high quality.

1 or 2 diced cucumbers (seeded and peeled)

1 quart chicken stock or broth

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar

2 tsp toasted sesame oil


Brown the bacon in a little olive oil until crispy. Add the chicken broth and vinegar. Add the cucumbers. Cook the cucumbers until they are soft but still crisp.

Drizzle 2 tsp of sesame oil over the soup before serving. Serve with delicious crusty bread.

Easy and delicious. Enjoy!

0 comments: